Our back, especially our lower back, is designed to provide strength, support, and flexibility to our upper body. This is why our lower backs are so sensitive to pain and injury from everyday wear and tear. Low back pain can have a number of causes, as well as range in severity. Back pain affects 8 out of 10 people at some point, with the lower back being the most affected area. Many people seek out the best chiropractor in Salinas for their back pain.
According to the National Institutes of Health, around 27 million Americans visit a chiropractor for treatment each year.
If you are experiencing any types of Dull and achy pain, burning, or spasms in the lower back should not be ignored. Spinal manipulation is performed by chiropractors, who perform the adjustments using their hands (or sometimes a device) to apply a precise force to a joint of the spine. The amount of force that they apply generally depends on the form of manipulation used. The goal is to relieve pain and improve physical function. For most people, back pain will go away on its own after a few days or weeks with pain relievers and rest. For others, the pain becomes chronic and can last for months or years.
What are the possible causes for back pain?
It is not uncommon for back pain to develop without a cause, at least one that your doctor can recognize with a test or x-ray. Conditions commonly related to back pain include:
- Muscle or ligament strain, especially from repeated heavy lifting or a sudden awkward movement can strain back muscles and spinal ligaments.
- Bulging or ruptured disks. Disks are essentially cushions between the bones (or vertebrae) in your spine. The soft material that is inside disks can swell or rupture, subsequently pressing on a nerve.
- Arthritis, especially osteoarthritis, can distress the lower back.
- Osteoporosis is caused when your spine's vertebrae develop compression fractures when your bones become porous and brittle.
Back pain can also result from some daily activities or poor posture. It is common for those who sit in a very hunched position when using computers can to have an increase back and shoulder problems over time. Other movement and postures that can cause back pain include:
- coughing or sneezing
- muscle stiffness
- bending awkwardly or a long time
- pushing, pulling, lifting, or carrying something
- standing up or sitting down for a long time
- straining the neck forward (from driving or using a computer)
- long driving sessions without a break
- sleeping on an unsupportive mattress
Signs and symptoms of back pain can include:
- Muscle ache
- Shooting or stabbing pain
- Pain that radiates down your leg
- Pain that gets worse with bending, lifting, standing, or walking
- Pain that improves with reclining
Effectiveness of chiropractic adjustment for back pain?
There is a lot of research, studies, and reviews that show chiropractors can provide clinically effective, safe, and inexpensive pain relief. A chiropractor can help relieve pain from spine-related conditions, which can be pain felt in the low back, upper back, or neck (cervical spine).
How Salinas chiropractor treat back pain?
Low-back pain is extremely debilitating and is generally hard to diagnose, treat, and even study. Modern chiropractic treatment for back pain focuses on the assumption that there is a misalignment of the spine. Chiropractic care includes different methods of spinal manipulation, also known as adjustments. Spinal manipulation involves the chiropractor physically pushing, pulling, and repositioning the neck, shoulders, head, back, or hips to help ease back pain. Not all chiropractic care involves cracking bones directly. One technique uses a handheld device called an activator, which is a gentler way to realign your spine.
Seeing a chiropractor for back pain is an effective way of managing low back pain, in addition to other types of pain. For many, low back pain will go away after a few days, weeks, or months. Common treatments include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories, and, in extreme cases, opioids or injections. Since most lower back pain often improves within a few weeks, doctors usually recommend gentle exercise and patience over-medicating their patients. Chiropractic care could potentially help many back-pain sufferers, as a part of multidisciplinary care to improve lower back discomfort.
The Important of Spinal Health
There are many ways to help take care of your spinal health. These include:
- using correct lifting/carrying techniques
- being mindful of your posture
- put a pillow under your knees when asleep
- quitting smoking
- making sure your diet is nutritious
- getting enough exercise, especially your core
- wearing shoes to support your spine
- get regular massages
- practice good ergonomics while you sit
With chiropractic care, gentle adjustments to any misaligned vertebrae may help the spine by bringing back normal movement, decreasing nerve irritation, and reducing pain. When your spine is functioning normally and you have a healthy nervous system, your body is able to better heal itself. Any sort of trauma you’ve experienced, lifestyle, increasing age, and injury can increase the vulnerability of the spine, but chiropractic care at Back Pain, Neck Pain & Headache Relief Center in Salinas can help ease discomfort and support you along the road to an improvement in overall wellness. If you are interested in learning more about how chiropractic care at Back Pain, Neck Pain & Headache Relief Center can help you improve your quality of life, give us a call at (831) 350-6999.
The first step to relief from Low Back Pain is to schedule a free consultation in our office to discuss the specifics of your case.